Sexual Harassment Allegations Never Fade Away For The Wealthy And Famous
Commentary and Checklist
Casey Affleck received a great deal of media attention for his role in Manchester by the Sea, which earned him a Golden Globe nomination. However, along with his rising fame has come a renewed interest in sexual harassment charges made against him years ago.
In 2010, the female producer and female cinematographer with whom Affleck worked as a director each sued him for repeated sexual harassment. The producer's lawsuit alleged that the actor made a cameraman expose himself to her and had sex with a woman in the producer's hotel room. The cinematographer alleged that he talked with other crew members about engaging in sexual acts with her and got into bed with her one night.
Affleck denied the allegations and settled both cases for an undisclosed amount. "Harassment claims cloud Casey Affleck's rise," chinapost.com (Jan. 8, 2017).
- Lead by example and don't make crude remarks or jokes.
- Always conduct yourself with respect for others.
- Don't wear sexually provocative or crude clothing or jewelry.
- If you are wondering whether your or someone else's behavior or comments are acceptable, then they probably are not. Think before you speak, and if it may be inappropriate, don't say it.
- Limit your physical contact with staff, especially touches that are more personal than professional.
- Do your best to keep your social life out of the workplace.
- If you spot someone being disrespectful or using foul language, admonish him or her quickly and in private.
- Listen to how staff talk about other staff and managers. Crude behavior is often done in private.
- When you observe sexually harassing conduct or staff complains of inappropriate behavior, immediately conduct a third party investigation.
- Never retaliate against staff for reporting harassing behavior or other forms of misconduct.
Finally, your opinion is important to us. Please complete the opinion survey: